THE TRUTH ABOUT ACNE
Understanding your skin is the first essential step to clearing oily and acne prone skin.
Like most people you’re probably sick of not getting results with problem skin, you’ve probably tried every product out there and nothing has worked. Well that stops here! Below is the information you need to arm yourself with, so you can stop making mistakes and start seeing results.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW.
Your skin has a unique protective system called the ‘Acid Mantle Barrier’. This barrier is made up of oils, fatty acids, lactic acid, amino acids and your skin’s own natural moisturising factor, which creates a protective barrier on your skin. This seals in moisture and protects your skin against pimple causing bacteria and infection.
"Much like your gut, your skin has good and bad bacteria. It is important to keep the good bacteria strong and healthy - as they play an active roll in making sure the acne causing bacteria doesn't take over and cause pimples." -Ebony real-u Founder
Your acid mantle, being slightly acidic as the name suggests, is easily upset or stripped away and can take anywhere from 15 mins to 14 hours to restore itself.
When you strip your skin with harsh products (that contain ingredients like benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid), you're destroying your skin's protective barrier and stripping away your skin's natural oils. This gives acne causing bacteria a chance to take over. It also tells the oil gland that it’s not doing its job (protecting the skin) well enough - as a result, the oil gland is sent into overdrive to compensate. In other words, although you are trying to fix your skin, you’re actually making it worse; one step forward, 3 steps back.
SO, WHAT’S ACTUALLY HAPPENING IN OILY AND ACNE PRONE SKIN?
- Over-active sebaceous (oil) glands - Typically in acne skin the oil gland is over-active resulting in an excess of sebum (oil) being excreted onto the surface of the skin.
- Excess dead skin cells - Acne-prone skin sheds up to 5x more layers of dead skin cells per day, the excess dead skin cells and excess sebum (oil) mix together and become trapped in the pore of the skin which leads to the pore becoming blocked.
- Inflammation - There is a particular bacteria called the Propionibacterium bacteria (P acnes) that lives in the pore of the skin. A blocked pore makes the perfect environment for the P acnes bacteria to breed, which leads to swelling, inflammation and further breakouts.
It's a combination of these 3 factors that cause pimples and acne to develop.
“For so long we have been treating acne in the wrong way, I just can’t believe it. If you're getting that squeaky clean feeling, you've just stripped away your acid mantle barrier. This not only stimulates your oil glands into producing more oil, but also gives acne causing bacteria a chance to take over.” – Ebony, Founder, real-u Skincare.
HOW REAL-U HELPS OILY AND ACNE PRONE SKIN.The unique compound found in real-u delivers the 4 key benefits to help break the acne cycle.
- Promotes the normalisation of (sebum) oil production without drying the skin - excess oil is one the biggest contributors in the formation of pimples and acne. Normalising sebum helps break the acne cycle.
- Inhibits acne causing bacteria - stabilising your skins protective barrier makes it harder for acne causing bacteria to takeover and form pimples.
- Anti-inflammatory - reducing the swelling and inflammation aids the healing process.
- Healing and strengthening skin cells - our unique compound high in antioxidants helps heal, repair and strengthen your skin cells, which play an important part in achieving healthy, clear skin.
It’s with a deep understanding of skin that we have developed our innovative formula to work with your skin’s natural functions, not against it. Based on Australian breakthrough skincare technology that has revolutionised the way we deal with pimples, acne and oily skin, our range makes taking care of your skin easy.
The secret to clear, healthy skin lies in our 3-Step Program. And our results speak for themselves!